Sunday, May 4, 2008

SNAPS

Okay for most of you snapping means a little something different. If you were a tri-delta memeber it is something of note has just happened (simillar to claps) . Little kids just think it is cool. For some it is showing a little attitude.



Someone, a patients mom, snapped at me yesterday. Seriously. She snapped at me. Told me that I couldn't take her daughter any where until she had pain meds. I am all for people get pain meds....especially little kids that are hurt. But who the hell snaps at someone and demands something.



This pink tank top, biker boot wearing mother snaps that is who. She was really lucky that I had enough energy left to just walk away and make the nurse go get the meds. I mean people think that ordering someone around might get the ahead...like they have authority. Authority over me. Um No.



I don't want anyone to think that I didn't want this little girl to have her meds....I totally did. She was in pain. But if you listen to who I am....I can not give meds I don't have anywhere near that authority. If you want me to help you get it taken care of speak nicely to me and I won't be a mean person too you. The mom gave me the stink eye the rest of the time.



I wanted to take this mother aside and say pay attention to how other people act when you are nice and when you are "snapping" at them and see how different a response you get from them. You might be amazed. Oh yeah and give your daughter a bath. The room where we took her x-rays stunk even after she had been out of it for 5 minutes.



I really do like my job. I just have a hard time with how people treat other people. I am getting over it though. I am not hardening but just learning to look past peoples

6 comments:

Natalie Jo said...

not a good snap. why can't you give drugs? you wear scrubs, you should be able to dispense drugs. maybe she was confused by the scrubs. you all dress alike. i would be confused too. i don't think i would snap though. did you givethe stink eye back>?

Kris said...

I snap at people all the time to get what I want, haven't I snapped at you lately? hehehe Someday people will realize thatb you get further with people if you are nice.

Nicole said...

she seriously snapped. that is great. way to go and walk away...I probably would have said something to her.

Danielle said...

I think you should have snapped back at her and told her to give her daughter a bath...that is bad when a little girl is stinking up a whole room. I don't think my kids have ever smelled up a whole room unless it is a poopy diaper or the just come inside from playing and smell like outside...yucky smell. I am with you about being nice it really takes you to the next level and makes people want to help and respect you. A good lesson we should all remember from this.

Bill Page said...

snaps for walking away!!! woo hoo. I hate rude people!!!

Ann Marie said...

I can't believe that lady! I think you are so cool for walking away - NICE! You didn't lower yourself to her level. She probably hated you for it!