Friday, September 12, 2008

AAHHH work

So for those of you who know me. I have been working (literally) quite hard at getting into nursing school to become a nurse. I took another big step recently. I accepted a job at the University Hospital in SLC. They just started their own program that they will pay for if you commit to working for them for at least 3 years. *&^% Yeah. I don't want to pay for &*(0.

I have been working there for 2 months. I have completed my training. It only took 5.3 weeks. Yikes. Hell yeah. I have been on my own for a few weeks. A couple of grave weeks and one day week.

To be honest with you I thought that I might be in the wrong place. I had some serious doubts about what I have been working toward. I didn't think I could do it. Not one bit.

I have made myself commit to at least six months of doing this. I think you need at least that with any job. You are still learning the first few months how to do it all, then you are getting your routine set, and then you are getting good at it. So I have until December to make it official.

So the week that I thought I was in the wrong place was just a busy week. One shift I didn't get to sit down and eat at all. I had some coffee and fruit snacks half way through my 12 hours. I couldn't think and made no sense at all when talking to patients. I was having night mares about vital signs. AAHHH it was bad.

BUT.... I think this might just be what day shifts are like. Pure shit. I don't like them. I want to work only nights....graves rock hard.

This last week was the best I have had...don't confuse this with me thinking it will be the best ever. There will be more shitty weeks with just as many good/great weeks. Lets hope the good/great out weigh the shit.

I even had a patient shit on me. Seriously. Most terrifying experience ever but definitely made me realize that I am in the right place. I can handle it. I can. Yeah. I may be nervous as you can be....but I can do it.

Since this is so long I will post some amazing stories later on. They are great.

8 comments:

Kassie said...

I know you probably already know this but you are doing THE WORST part right now! When you get through it, you the boss man and the only sh*$ you hold is the responsibility of charting, over seeing, and making sure THE sh&^ is done right! I'm glad you are challenging your skills baby! Like you said it sucks for awhile but then it's very satisfing and gratifing (spell?) Miss ya. Bree and I want to go to that Body World!
P.S. I saw a Congrads poster to Dr. Clayton-Tell Danille CONGRADS and then ask her how she made a girl.

Kris said...

Thanks for the laugh.....I needed one tonight!

Nicole said...

Loved the story. Thanks for updating. You are amazing..stick with it. We think it is great!!

Ann Marie said...

I can totally see you working graveyards. If you love it, then do it! Hang in there . . . By the way, do tell more stories - I am fascinated! And as a mom, you get shit on plenty of times! Ha! But by a stranger . . . ummm that's just gross. I am sorry!

Bill Page said...

woo hoo you go!!!!! I would love you to be nurse. I agree with ann marie once you become a mom poo is the least of your worries. I spent the day being puked on yesterday!

Shannon said...

I am so happy for you. I hope your job is everything you're thinking it will be. Are you still working at Alta View as well?

Amber Snow said...

I think that it is fitting you have the joy of dealing with other people's bowel movements since you like to talk about your own so much. j'k Kassie's right. shit work now and as the a nurse charting and boss around your pct's and cna's stick to it if you think your in the right place. I am partial and xray is by far the best job in the health care field but we all must choose our path. When are you coming to visit me fool?

Danielle said...

I love poo stories. I have Paul tell me his stories all the time. I love gross medical stories so do share more and you will be a great nurse b/c you are of great stock...meaning you are a Zgirl and we are all pretty darn tough when it comes down to it....well maybe not Kris so much haha. I love the visits from you since you are working close to me now.