Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Nice cars, Old women and BAD Driving Skills

So the other day while on my way to meet some friends for lunch, I had two older ladies almost hit me, or should I say run into my car.

The first was pulling out into the street from my place of residence. There is construction going so there is only one lane in the south bond traffic, which is the way that I was going. I had to wait for the light since it was a left hand turn. I went after it turned green and then out of my peripheral vision I see a Lexus cruising toward me. I slam on the brakes. AWWW Shit. She totally ran a read light, seems that getting to walmart quickly is worth almost hurting someone livelihood other than theirs. I honked and then proceeded on my way. I was pissed. Funny thing we were going to the same place. I honked at her as I passed her in the parking lot and then I gave her the bird. If she had actually dared to get out of her car I would have told her how responsible she had just been.

The second was an older lady in a BMW wagon. Totally cut me off trying to get onto the freeway. She moved over into my lane, almost grabbing my bumper as she did this, just outside of the intersection.

Seriously, I know we all want to get somewhere, but for crying out loud cars cause damage. They are made of metal, they hurt, and it is expensive.

What I want to know is if it is just a coincidence that they were both older women with nice cars or if it is in fact because these women are more reckless then needs be. Do they reason that they car drive with little skill or awareness since they have a lot of money and can pay for any damages (human or car)? Or is it that they just could give a shit about anyone else? Or maybe it is just that they might have made it this far through life without much strife and feel that they are impervious to bad things (I think this one pushes it...but I can not remember my exact thoughts of that morning.)

Seriously what do you all think?

By the way I did not name this blog Bombastic Opinions for nothing...if you do not like it do not read it. I am still a nice person even though I do not always think nice thoughts. Come back tomorrow for my feelings on society.

12 comments:

Natalie Jo said...

I think Kathy Bates summed it up in Fried Green Tomatoes. "I am older and have more insurance."

Kris said...

As you well know--because you were with me once. Us older women have so much on our mind, and are easily distratcted and are oblivious to everyone else and think the world revolves around us.

LoriLoo310 said...

I think it is just a lack of courtesy. They just don't care.

Breezer said...

"totally in LA LA land, maybe I'll talk on my cell phone, and I have more money than you, so screw you, etc." Stupid old broads. Glad you got home unscathed- bree

Shannon said...

Jacque I'm shocked and grateful that you dodged not only one but two accidents. You haven't had the best luck over the past couple of years, but I am of the opinion that EVERYONE behind the wheel is careless and selfish at times.

Nicole said...

I have almost been a victim of the same thing....I think that they are just oblivious...really I do. But I don't drive a nice car and people might think that of me at times...

I am Melfy said...

Well, well. Why am I not suprised? I think it's that 'I-am-older-than-you-and-you-should-respect-me-just-cuz-I'm-an-old-hag' mentality. My own grandmother once made the stupidest driving move on the planet, and I kid you not, she said the other girl should have stopped for her because she was old. Whoa, crazy grannies...

Kassie said...

Why Why Why? Another one of those societal issues. Let's let 90 year olds drive but gosh-dang it 'click it' or a 'ticket'! Don't get me wrong, I believe in seat-belts but why don't we nip it in the bud. Do you thing those grannies could pass a driving test...like on a road not a course? I would be curious, that's all I'm sayin.

Ann Marie said...

Jacque, I always love reading your blog! Seriously, you crack me up and bring a smile to my face every time! What would I do without you?! I love your stories!!! I can just see you giving that old lady the bird!

Amber Snow said...

I really think its not an old age thing. From my experience. It's definitly the bmw/lexus thing.
It's the better than everybody and you should yeild to me because of my own importance. I think in if the ladies were in less than fancy cars we would have an unbias opinion of old ladies. I am bias and I believe ladies in fancy cars are bitches.

J Z said...

awesome I think it was the type of car thing also...not so much the age...but the car/money thing was def an issue. I mean I drive a subaru they prob thought damn hippe

Kassie said...

UPDATE YOUR BLOG.